A woman's habit of keeping her contact lenses in while swimming and showering had serious consequences: She developed a rare eye infection that left her legally blind in one eye, according to a new report of the case.
The 41-year-old woman, who lives in the United Kingdom, went to the eye doctor after experiencing blurry vision, eye pain and sensitivity to light in her left eye for two months, according to the report, which was published on July 17 in The New England Journal of Medicine.
She told doctors that she wore disposable, soft contact lenses and that she kept them in while swimming and showering, the report said.
An eye test showed that her vision was 20/200 in her left eye, the threshold for being "legally blind" in the United States. Her right eye was not affected.
Doctors could see a cloudiness or haze in the women's cornea, the eye's transparent outer covering.
They performed another eye test that uses a special dye to detect damage to this covering. During this test, any damage to the cornea will appear green when doctors shine a blue light on the eye, according to the National Institutes of Health.
The doctors saw that, indeed, a defect in the woman's cornea appeared green during the test.
Samples from her eye tested positive for Acanthamoeba keratitis, a rare parasitic infection of the cornea.
The infection is known to damage a person's vision and is tied to the use of contact lenses, according to the report, led by Dr. Lanxing Fu, of the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital in the United Kingdom.
an obvious sign of infection 一种明显的感染迹象
There is little risk of infection unless someone has a fresh cold.
文中” eye infection”，指“眼部感染”。